Cleaning an espresso machine requires severe concentration and utmost care. Likewise, you don't want to miss the flavor of your coffee after you finish the cleaning process. Therefore, learning how to clean the Breville Espresso machine is of great importance.
In that case, here is an article to enlighten you or any first time owner of the device on how to maintain it clean.
Well, come with me as we look at how to carry out the whole process.
Here are a few tips on how to clean Breville Espresso machine
Cleaning of the Breville Espresso machine is in two faces.
- Cleaning the machine after every use. Also known as periodic cleaning.
- Monthly cleaning. Also, known as deep cleaning.
Different parts make the Breville Espresso machine. It means the design of each piece plays its unique work.
In other words, it is wise to clean each part of the machine, and in the process, you will end up washing the whole machine. Let’s walk together through this process.
Let us look at the periodic cleaning process.
- Remove and clean the filter. The filter ensures there is no scale build-up of coffee residue to other internal parts of the machine. Why? Because the build-upaffects proper functioning of the device.Therefore do the following.
- Remove the filter from the holder, and pour the coffee ground.
- Soak and wash the filter in hot soapy water for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse the filter in cold running water. Make sure the wire mesh has no sticky coffee grounds remaining on it.
- Insert the filter back in the holder, making sure it clicks back in position.
- After cleaning and replacing the filter in position, ensure you brew some plain water in the machine for at least 10-15 minutes. Remember, it is essential to ensure the water tank is full, and an empty drip tray in position. After that, follow these steps to ensure you get it all right.
- Turn the Breville machine off.
- Press 1 cup, 2 cup, and the power button simultaneously.
- Press and hold the buttons for at least 15 seconds.
- The machine will start to clean, and the whole process takes up to 5 minutes. During which, water will be pouring on the drip tray.
- When the process is complete, you hear 3beeps, coming from the machine.
- After brewing plain water, we now clean the froth enhancer.To clean the froth enhancer you need to:
- Carefully pull it from the steam wand.
- Wash and rinse in clean, warm water.
- Clean the milk that remains in the machine after use.To expel milk residue from the machine, do the following,
- Turn the dial indicator to the steam position.
- Press the ON button and let the steam run for about 2 minutes
- Return the dial indicator to standby mode and switch off the machine.
- Clean the steam wand.To clean the steam wand, follow the following procedure.
- Unplug the machine from the power source.
- Ensure the machine has cooled off, to avoid burning yourself.
- Use the pin that comes with the Breville espresso machine to unclog steam holes at the tip of the steam wand.
- In some cases, you will realize the tip of the steam wand clogged with dirt. If that happens, open the tip and soak it in hot water to remove the dirt.
- Rinse the machine with clean water and wipe it with a clean cloth to keep it dry.
- Cleaning the drip tray.It is a simple procedure.
- Pour the contents of the drip tray in a sink.
- Wash the tray in warm soapy water.
- Rinse with cold, clean running water.
- Ensure the drip tray is dry before returning it at the base of the espresso machine.
- After completing the whole procedure, clean the outside of the machine with a smooth damp cloth. Even in so doing, pay attention to parts that can easily break if mishandled.
Do you see where we're going with this? Let’s move to the second part of cleaning the Breville Espresso Machine. Stay with me..
Deep cleaning involves a process known as decalcifying or descaling.To descale, follow the following procedure.
- Ensure you have a descaling agent. The agent should have citric acid in it. The commonly used agent is vinegar.
- Pour half measure of vinegar and half ratio of cold water in the Breville machine's water tank.
- Connect the machine to the power source, press the power button, and let it run until it attains the brewing temperature.
- Once it has attained the brewing temperature, press and hold the 1 cup button. While doing so, the machine will start to pour manually. Wait until half of the vinegar solution has run into the brewing head and the large container.
- When half of the vinegar solution has run, set the dial indicator to hot water position. Allow the hot water to run for 1 minute and return the dial indicator to standby mode.
- You now steam the vinegar solution by positioning the dial indicator to steam. Likewise, allow it to run for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the machine and allow it to cool.
- Remove the water tank then rinse it thoroughly. Again, fill the water tank with clean cold water. Similarly, repeat the above procedure to ensure complete cleaning of the Espresso machine.
However, it is vital to note that although citric acid contained in vinegar is an excellent decalcifying agent. On the contrary, it is not friendly to metal surfaces.
It can tarnish the internal layer of the machine. Therefore you must rinse your device thoroughly.
Cleaning the Breville espresso machine is never a walk in the park. However, learning to wash it in the right way maintains the flavor of your coffee.
Apart from that, it also saves you money that you will spend on maintenances. Likewise, it increases your machine's lifespan, and thus, it makes you realize the worth of your money.