Whether you are a novice at espresso-making or an espresso expert looking to update to a super-automatic espresso machine, there are several things you will appreciate about these recent make-work-easier machines. They are convenient, fast, and require less effort, unlike the traditional machines that can confuse novices.
But with hundreds of companies parading their super-automatic espresso machines, choosing the best among them is an uphill task. What most shoppers do is to check out other user’s reviews and opinions, and professional critiques. Looking at ratings and reviews from other shoppers gives you an idea of what to expect from a product.
That is why in this article, we have compiled the 10 best super-automatic espresso machines under 1000 reviews in 2021. If customers reviews play an important part in your decision-making (as it should be), this is the ultimate guide you should read.
#1 Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine is one of our best picks. This compact and sleek machine makes espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, americanos, lungs, and milk froths.
One of the qualities that make it popular is that it is not noisy when brewing. You know how coffee machines wake everyone up early as beans grind; you won’t get that with this machine.
The machine comes with an in-built conical burr grinder made of ceramic. This grinder can hold a maximum of 8 oz of coffee beans and lets you choose between five grinding options.
Whether you are a light, medium, or strong espresso person, the Optiaroma feature allows the selection of preferred strength, intensity, and flavor.
The steam band is a very particular part of an espresso machine because it determines the quality of your milk-based beverages such as latte, cappuccino, flat whites, etc. Gaggia Brera has a great Pannarello steam wand that picks the heat fast, making your drink ready in less than a minute. The milk frother gives perfect and smooth textured lattes and cappuccinos.
Another feature that counts when choosing a good espresso machine is the ease of cleaning, which narrows down to the design and removable components. The water container is on the front side, and can you can remove it for separate cleaning. It holds up to 4I Oz of water.
The bean hopper is also on the front of the machine, so it is also easy to access. This whole brew unit is removable, allowing you to empty the bean residues and wash the components under the tap or in a dishwasher.
- Compact and sleek to fit on your kitchen counter or dining area
- Customizable and programmable user preferences
- Built-in milk brother for smooth and velvety milk-based beverages
- The coffee spout is adjustable, and long coffee cups do just fine
- You can use either whole or pre-ground beans
- Easy to clean due to removable units
- Milk circuit Quick Clean option thoroughly cleans the milk circuit
- Easy to use user control panel with a LED display
- Not ideal for oily beans
- It doesn’t have a water filter
#2 Delonghi ESAM04110S Magnifica Automatic Espresso Machine
Delonghi has made its name in the coffee-related machines, and they did well with this brand. The Delonghi ESAM brands can make espresso, lungos, milk-based beverages, lattes, and cappuccinos. If you want to channel your barista skills at home, this machine will do the work.
It is small in size, so you don’t have to worry about not finding a place to put it in your kitchen. The design is attractive, with a smooth plastic finish that resembles stainless steel.
What we found fascinating about this espresso machine is you only need to input your personal preferences once and save them, then the device will remember them moving forward.
This feature is crucial, especially when you are running late to go to work in the morning. You only need to turn the machine on, click a single button, and there you’ll have your drink in a few seconds.
Delonghi ESAM 04110S also comes with an adjustable cappuccino system dedicated to making creamy and smooth cappuccinos. It also has an integrated burr grinder with adjustable settings. The options lets you choose the size of ground coffee beans you want, from fine to course.
- Compact design that can fit limited kitchen spaces
- Customizable settings to suit your preferences
- User-friendly interface
- Built-in manual milk frother
- Removable brew unit, drip tray, water reservoir, and bean hopper makes it easy to clean
- Automatic decalcification indicator to signal when you need to clean the machine
- A big water tank(60 oz) holds enough water for a large household
- Electric cup warmer ensures the beverage is hot enough
- Double boiler lets you brew drinks simultaneously
- Automatic power off button
- The brewing process is silent, and you don’t need to worry about waking anyone up
- They can do better with the small bean container
- Has no in-built water filter
#3 Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine with Iron Frame & Stainless Steel Side Panels
Whether you are a cappuccino, latte, macchiato, milk froth, or espresso fanatic, there aren’t any of these drinks that Rancilio Silvia does not make.
The machine is made of stainless material, with physical plastic knobs for customizing individual preferences. This brand is semi-automatic, which means you will manually operate some of the tasks. But generally, it is one of our top picks for espresso machines with less than 1000 reviews on Amazon.
One major shortcoming we noticed is its lack of an inbuilt grinder. You need to purchase one separately or use an old one, which some buyers view as unnecessary additional costs.
Although most of the machine is made of stainless steel, the brewing unit is made of brass. It is removable, making the cleaning process easy.
Rancilio Silvia has a digital display that shows the timer and a manual button for temperature control. However, the display doesn’t warn of low water levels, and you have to pay attention and stay on your toes.
The machine has Italian espresso machine technology, featuring a flexible steam wand with a wide range of motion. This flexibility, coupled with the pressure adjusting knob, makes the brewing method fast and flawless.
- Compact design that fits in the kitchen space
- Two independent boilers let you brew different drinks simultaneously
- A self-cleaning system with a cleaning brush and water softener.
- Removable components making it an easy-to-clean machine
- It has an in-built filter
- Big water tank to hold enough brewing water
- The flexible steam band lets you experiment with coffee and cream art on your cup
- Manual knob to control the steaming pressure
- Energy-saving mode helps cut electricity bills
- It lacks an in-built grinder
- Needs regular descaling
- Lacks a low water level indicator
- The water container holds a relatively little amount of water(12oz)
#4 Gaggia Anima Prestige Super Automatic Coffee Machine with Programmable Options
Gaggia Anima series features a compact stainless steel machine suitable for making espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, milk froths, macchiato, etc. It has an integrated ceramic burr grinder, which grinds coffee beans silently to produce high-quality beverages. The grinder gives three options to choose from: coarse, medium, and fine grain size.
The machine is easy to clean, courtesy of the simple design and removable components. The water tank is easy-to-access being on the front side of the device. In addition, it holds up to 60oz of water and has an inbuilt water filter.
The control panel is simple with a customizable memo function that lets your program brewing options and saves them. This means you only key in the brewing options such as temperature, caffeine strength, etc., once then the machine memorizes them. The next time you want to make a coffee drink, it will be automatic.
Gaggia Anima makes high-quality milk-based beverages, thanks to the carafe system. This milk holder can also be removed and refrigerated, thus preserving the remaining milk for later use.
One feature that puts the Gaggia brand on the frontline of user-favorite espresso machines is the Milk Circuit Quick Clean feature. It is a self-cleaning system that thoroughly cleans the milk circuit, making your clean-up and maintenance easy.
- Compact design
- Programmable individual brewing options
- Durable ceramic adjustable grinder
- Easy to clean due to removable parts
- Automatic cleaning alerts that notify you when it’s time to clean the machine
- It has an in-built water filter
- Double boiler system lets you brew drinks simultaneously
- Panarello steam wand for smooth and velvety espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos
- Big water tank capable of holding up to 60 ounces of water
- Digital display
- Not suitable for use with oily coffee beans
- It is quite expensive
- Some users detest so much plastic in the body, which may lower its lifespan
#5 Delonghi ESAM 5550B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine
This model has been in the espresso machines arena for quite some time now, and it is still as good as the modern ones. Delonghi is popular for coffee-related gadgets, and although this one is becoming a scarce commodity, you will be lucky to add one to your kitchen appliances. It makes several drinks, including espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos.
The control panel is digital, with programmable options such as start time, temperature, flavor, strength, type of drink, etc. The one-touch feature lets you make a drink of your choice almost instantly. With a push of a button, you can have either an espresso, cappuccino, latte, or any of the various milk-based drinks.
You can wash the removable brewing unit, water tank, bean hopper, and drip tray separately, making it easy to clean and maintain.
The conical integrated burr grinder is great, with seven-grain size settings to choose from. But to the disappointment of some users, the grinder is made of stainless steel. Stainless steel gets so hot with simultaneous brews and can burn the coffee beans resulting in altered beverage flavor.
This machine has a double boiler system, letting you make two different drinks at the same time. Its small and sleek design makes it an excellent addition to a home kitchen without needing extra space on the countertop.
However, the compact design means the water tank is smaller, which can be a deal-breaker for some espresso lovers. Another shortcoming of this machine is its lack of an in-built water filter.
- Compact design
- A conical adjustable burr grinder
- Easy to clean
- Double boiler system for simultaneous brewing
- A programmable digital control panel
- Thermoblock rapid heating technology
- Dedicated button for cleaning the milk carafe system
- Limited coffee spout to accommodate taller coffee cups
- Not suitable with oily beans
- Small water capacity(57 oz)
- No cup warming tray
#6 Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
This Breville brand presents one of the best espresso machines at a reasonably affordable price. It is semi-automatic, giving you the control you crave as an espresso expert while also making great beverages for a newbie who doesn’t understand the technical aspects of an espresso machine.
The machine makes excellent espressos, lattes, cappuccinos, and milk froths. It is an all-in-one machine with a conical adjustable burr grinder. The grinder lets you choose between 16 grind settings, which is one of the desirable qualities of the Breville brand.
The control panel is simple, with knobs to control the steam pressure, grind amount, number of shots, and temperature. The Digital Temperature Control (PID) ensures your drink is at the right temperature. The red hand on the pressure gauge signals if the drink is brewing at the correct pressure.
Because this espresso machine is not fully automatic, it needs patience and effort to make drinks.
This machine offers an automatic steam wand for smooth and frothy milk beverages, which you can also operate manually. It also provides a single and double filter, which is a plus, especially if you use hard water to make coffee drinks.
This brand has a big and ample water reservoir, so you don’t have to worry about how many cups of beverage you can make back to back. This tank, together with the brewing unit, bean hopper, and drip tray, is all removable, making the cleaning process easy.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- It gives you some control over the quality and flavor of your drink
- It has an in-built water filter
- Thermocoil heating technology for a fast brewing process
- It has a notification button that signals time to descale or empty the drip tray
- The flexible steam wand makes your milk frothing easy
- Simple user interface
- The conical grinder has 16 grind settings to choose from
- Big water tank and bean hopper
- One year warranty
- Noisy grinder so not suitable for early mornings
- The stainless steel is not ideal for back to back brewing as it burns the beans, which leads to altered flavors
#7Delonghi ESAM 3300 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Delonghi ESAM 3330 Magnifica is an Amazon bestseller and a user favorite, and we understand why. It is an excellent super-automatic espresso and coffee maker make of durable stainless steel material. You can make espressos, lattes, americanos, cappuccinos, and other coffee drinks at the comfort of your home.
First, we love that its professional burr grinder has 13 adjustable grind settings, which makes choosing the grind size easy. Whether you love coarse, medium, or finely ground beans for your espresso, Delonghi ESAM 3300 Magnifica got you covered.
If you love milky coffee beverages, you know a good steam band and milk frother are a crucial part of an espresso machine. This machine has a manual frother that provides the best lattes, cappuccinos, and milk froths. In addition, it comes with a dedicated cappuccino system that is adjustable to make flavorful cappuccinos.
Do you dislike inputting your beverage preferences every time you need to make a cup? Then this machine will blow your mind. You can customize and save your preferred temperature, grind size, flavor, coffee strength, and so on, and the device will remember these conditions in the future.
- Small enough to fit in your kitchen or dining area
- Beginner-friendly and straightforward user interface
- Built-in manual Panarello milk frother for best milk-based drinks
- Removable brew unit, water tank, bean hopper, and drip tray, making it easy to clean
- Has an indicator to notify you of when it’s time to decalcify the machine
- Has an electric cup warmer, ensuring the final temperature is optimum
- Double boiler system allows brewing two cups simultaneously
- It is a silent brewer
- Big water reservoir holds up to 60oz of the brewing water
- It has an automatic shut-off feature. You can set the auto-off between 15 minutes and 3 hours of inactivity
- Two-year warranty
- It has no water filter, so you will need to buy one separately
- Lacks a display for helpful information such as water level, number of cups, etc.
#8 Breville Barista Touch Stainless Steel Espresso Machine
The Breville Barista Touch is the definition of a sleek, compact, and modern super-automatic espresso machine, with a touch screen control panel and LCD screen. Whether you want to make an espresso, latte, cappuccino, or milk-infused beverages, this machine will make it as professional as the one from Starbucks.
You can choose to use the automatic or manual options. This feature makes the machine a darling of both newbies and experts who need to try out their barista skills at home.
It has an in-built conical burr grinder with an adjustable control to set your preferred coffee grind size. The adjustable controls coupled with the automatic milk frother make the brewing process fast and convenient.
The Thermojet heating system makes it possible to extract and brew your drink in a few seconds. In addition, the PID temperature control maintains an optimum temperature, delivering your beverage at the right temperature.
The Breville brand is known for its high-quality coffee machines, and they did not disappoint with the Barista Touch. It is made of stainless steel, a long-lasting material that is easy to clean and maintain.
The steam wand is automatic. It lets you set your milk’s temperature and texture to make a smooth and foamy milk froth. Don’t we all love beautiful micro foam to make latte art?
- The touch screen makes it classy and modern
- Has four filter baskets to suit your preferences
- Thermojet technology heats your drinks in seconds
- Automatic milk frother
- Durable stainless steel material
- Programmable settings to memorize your preferences
- Removable machine components make it easy to clean and maintain
- The price is worth the premium features
- In-built grinder with adjustable settings for coffee grind size that suits you
- Big water reservoir (67 oz)
- It has a two-year warranty
- The touch screen input option needs a learning curve and may be complex at first
- The cup space under the espresso is not big enough for bigger coffee cups. You need to use a small espresso cup and empty the big cup several times
#9 Gaggia Velasca Prestige Stainless Steel Espresso Machine
Gaggia Velasca Prestige brand outdid itself in this premium espresso machine. Talk about programmable brewing options for cappuccino, lattes, lungos, espressos, and milk broths. With a click of a button, you can have your smooth and velvety cappuccino or a pitch-black americano.
The adjustable ceramic grinder makes your brewing ritual silent, and you don’t need to worry about waking up neighbors or housemates. The grinder also has 10 grind size settings to choose from.
Whether you want a cup of cappuccino or some hot water to make tea, the rapid heating technology will have your drink ready in seconds. The quick heat boiler feature will reduce your waiting time, courtesy of the aluminum and stainless materials that take up heat quickly.
Another winning quality of Gaggia Velasca Prestige is the milk circuit quick clean technology, which automatically cleans and rinses the milk circuit after making your cappuccino. You don’t need a complex cleaning-up process because the device is self-cleaning.
With about five drinks to choose from, you may need to simultaneously make a milk-free beverage and a milk-based one like a creamy latte. With the double boiler system, this machine makes simultaneous brewing possible.
The machine also has a notification button that signals you when it’s time to descale the machine.
- Compact design that fits in your kitchen space
- Straightforward user interface with LCD
- Automatic milk carafe cleaning technology
- Removable brew unit that is easy to clean and maintain
- Airtight aroma lid that preserves the flavor of every cup
- Ceramic integrated grinders that aren’t loud when grinding
- Double boiler system for simultaneous brewing
- Programmable brewing options
- In-built water filter
- The water tank is relatively small(54 oz)
- It doesn’t work well with oily beans
- Some users think the milk froth is loud
#10 Delonghi ECAM 44660B Eletta Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Do you take coffee drinks with milk? Delonghi made this machine with a particular interest to latte, cappuccino, milk broth, and macchiato lovers. The removable milk reservoir holds up to 600ml of milk, and you can refrigerate the remaining milk for later use.
You will love the automatic cappuccino system that delivers steamed milk for foamy and smooth lattes and macchiatos. The automatic milk frother does all the frothing to provide flavorful espressos, flat whites, and hot milk.
The beauty of this espresso machine is that you can use whole or pre-ground coffee beans. This comes in handy for espresso lovers with little expertise in making home barista-level beverages. In addition, the machine allows simultaneous brewing with the double boiler system.
This brand also saves you money because it comes with an in-built grinder. The ceramic burr grinder has 13 grind sizes to choose from and does not produce much noise when grinding coffee beans.
The super-automatic machine also has a water filter, bypass doser, and pressure generating pressure, all of which ensure your coffee drink is well brewed, smooth, and at the right temperature.
The user interface is easy to use, with buttons for setting the brewing options. The machine also has an LCD to read your brewing conditions and other notifications such as water level and a descaling signal.
- Easy to clean due to removable components
- Features a milk menu that offers several milk beverage options
- Detachable milk reservoir that can be refrigerated for later use
- Has a capacity indicator showing water, coffee, and milk levels
- Double boiler system for simultaneous brewing
- The water reservoir and bean hopper are at the front, thus easily accessible
- Has a cup warmer to ensure the beverage is at the optimum temperature
- It has an in-built water filter
- Some users may find it a bit noisy while brewing
- The drink temperature needs some improvement for those who love it hot
Things To Consider While Choosing The Best Super Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine
As you have seen from our best super-automatic espresso machine list, many brands have different qualities and prices. Choosing the best among these can be a daunting task, but don’t worry. We have an ultimate guide to help you decide.
Keep the following things in mind while choosing the best super-automatic espresso machine:
You will get tons of offers from different retailers and brands, but the bottom line is to go for a machine that will not leave you bankrupt. Do market research and compare the prices and the qualities you are looking for.
Although the super-automatic espresso machines are quite pricey, their premium features and conveniences are worth your dollars.
The shot quality and taste
One thing that leads us to buy these super-automatic espresso machines is to get flavorful and high-quality espresso and other coffee beverages from the comfort of our homes. But what good will it do to purchase a machine producing low-quality shots?
It would suck to buy an incompetent machine and end up draining the espresso in the sink, then go on and wait on the long queues at Starbucks. A good way to know if a machine suits your flavor preference is by looking at other user’s opinions and professional reviews.
Although most espresso and coffee drinkers don’t necessarily need scolding hot beverages, it is vital to go for an espresso machine that makes the drinks hot. I mean, would you rather spend another minute making a lukewarm espresso hot on your microwave or wait for a slightly hotter one to cool down?
User ratings and professional reviews will help you know what espresso machine is best depending on the beverage temperature.
The super-automatic espresso machines come with a digital control panel with buttons, knobs, and touch screen. This is an important consideration, depending on your preference, downsides, and upsides of each kind. Note that touch screen machines are more expensive than the ones with buttons and knobs.
You also need to consider decalcification indicators, auto-off features, and whether the user interface displays the settings you input.
Ease of cleaning and maintenance
Super-automatic espresso machines grind, steam, and brew the drink quickly, involving a tube or carafe system, steam wands, water tanks, bean hoppers, grinders, etc. It is better to go for a machine with removable parts for easy cleaning.
Personal style and needs also play an important role in determining the espresso machine you will choose. It boils down to whether you are alone or several people will use the device. This is important when selecting the water tank capacity and the boiler system. A large household will need an espresso machine with at least 60 oz capacity. The machine for such a household should have a double boiler system.
Which Super Automatic Espresso Machine is the right choice?
Our best pick for a super-automatic espresso machine under 1000 reviews is the Delonghi ECAM 44660B Super Automatic Espresso Machine. It is a sleek and compact machine with a simple touch screen user interface.
It is multifunctional, delivering about six types of coffee drinks such as espresso, latte, macchiato, cappuccino, and milk froth. We also love that it comes with a detachable milk container that you can store in the fridge for later use. Furthermore, it is not limited to only whole beans as it works perfectly with pre-grounded beans.
What’s more? It is easy to clean and maintain. You only need to take out the removable brewing unit, water tank, bean hopper, milk reservoir, and drip tray and wash them separately.
And do we love the dedicated milk menu? Of course. It is everything for us latte and milk froth lovers. It lets you choose your preferred milk-based beverage, including hot milk, press the button, and voila, there is your drink.
We hope you enjoyed our honest review. Happy shopping!
Extra Features that Make Super-Automatic Espresso Machines Unique
The doser is a component in a super-automatic espresso machine that allows you to adjust the amount of coffee to grind for your brew. Almost all devices in this category will feature an adjustable doser.
Notably, some devices with removable internal brews allow you to set the doser at 6 to 16 grams.
In addition, some super-automatic espresso machines have a small chamber that only accepts pre-ground coffee. This feature allows you to brew a different type of coffee from the kind stored in the bean hopper.
Most super-automatic espresso machines usually come with a conical burr grinder. The high-quality tempered steel cutting surfaces offer perfect grinds for long life spans.
In addition, these machines offer the chance to pre-grind your coffee beans. The machine grinds beans for the next shot as the first drink is brewing.
All the same, the ability to adjust the grind setting is one feature that makes an espresso machine stand out in the market.
Adjusting the grind setting puts the quality and taste of the brew in your hands. If you need a specific richness and flavor of espresso shots, it all starts with how fine or coarse the grind is. So, adjustable grind settings will make your machine outstanding.
Dual Heating Element
All super-automatic machines have a heating element known as Thermobloc. These elements heat water in small quantities to the required temperature.
On the other hand, some machines feature dual heating elements. This feature eliminates the long waiting periods associated with single heating elements when you need to brew and froth.
Indeed, this feature is quite handy when you have to make several drinks in a row. Also, the dual heating system eliminates the necessity of cooling the espresso machine’s boiler after steaming.
Since you have to brew espresso in small quantities, the drink is subject to loss of heat the moment it leaves the brewer. If you pour the brew in a cold cup, you might end up with a shot that is substandard due to low temperature.
Some cup warmers use residue heat from the boiler to keep the cups warm. Other machines have an active heat cup warmer. With this feature, you will always get your drink at the right temperature.
Definitely, the type of water you use affects the taste and quality of your brew. Some super-automatic espresso machines have water filtration systems to ensure that the water you use has the right amount of essential minerals.
In addition, these filters have organic additives that help to remove carbon, thereby eliminating the need to decalcify your device regularly.
Every espresso-loving person knows there is a big difference between a cup of coffee and an espresso shot. The difference in preparation, taste, and texture are the most striking differences.
If you need to enjoy the best espresso from home, then it is advisable to look for the best super-automatic espresso machine. Notably, you don’t have to be a pro barista to produce the best shot. All you do is program the device, and you are good to go.
The super-automatic espresso machines are quite easy to use. In addition, with programmable memories, these devices produce a consistent high-quality over and over.
Again, these compact gadgets handle multiple functions in one unit at the press of a button. Therefore, if you get a good machine, you can enjoy your best espresso shots from the comfort of your home or even from the office.
Finally, the ball is on your court. Make a move today. Follow the tips in the buyer’s guide above, and you will get the best automatic espresso machine that meets your needs.
We also recommend gevi 20 bar espresso machine as the most budget friendly machine.